Filtered views are slow to load

• A Human
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

A Human replied the topic: Filtered views are slow to load

hey guys, any idea when your patch might be ready?

Peace

Robin
  • A Human
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ok, now i am just angry, it's just been bought to our attention that your proposed fix broke the site further.

Can i say that this is the last time we will probably use your product. we have tried to make it work over the years on many sites and not one of them has ever been as straightforward as a component should be.

The CCK just makes things more complicated and at a joomla user group i attended tonight it was pretty unanimous that we should dump breeze/cck and move to another product.

i feel like we have wasted hundreds of hours and delivered substandard service to our clients in our misplaced faith breeze/cck is ever going to work in a straightforward manner for us and our clients.

We produce sites for events, they have an event date, waiting weeks till after the event for fixes is a fail in our clients eyes.

Feeling really very annoyed
  • Thank you received: 12

tayicknay replied the topic: Filtered views are slow to load

Hello,

I apologize for the delay. We are aware of the issues and since a month ago we've been pushing updates for all of our components. There is a great strive for perfection within the company and now that we have more people working on extension updates we are aiming to achieve it.

For your specific issue, if you did as I said in my first post,

"Before making any changes backup every file by renaming it from original_file.php to original_file.php.bak",

you should rename the original_file.php.bak back to normal by deleting .bak extension.

What you percieve as "broken" is just a bug within that file, for which we are grateful to you for reporting it. The file doesn't alter any records so switching to the old file will revert the changes you noticed is broken.

As for the continuation of solving this problem, we are working on it and testing it on our local installations so as not to introduce more bugs. As you can imagine, incomplete solutions are no way of dealing with upgrades, which is why thorough analysis and experimenting is core process of performing upgrades.

Tomorrow, or in the following days we will have the file ready for you. I just ask for a little patience till we have everything ready.

Cheers,

Tomislav

Hi,

we've performed some tests that might encourage you to stick with us on this problem. We deliver.

On a test list view with 5 rows (records), but repeated N=10000 times, we've achieved speeds of 16.7839 seconds (speeds are on a first run, not caching results) on the new search engine, compared to 39.3264 seconds on the old engine. That is a 234, 3094% improvement, meaning the new engine was 2.34 times faster than the old engine.

On a test list view with 105 rows, but repeated N=10000 times, the old engine was triggering a server maximum execution time error, which on my system was set to 120 seconds.

We lowered the test N times to 500. The new engine was performing in 8.94 seconds compared to the old engine which ran in 91.24 seconds. That is rougly 1074% difference, meaning the new engine was 10,74 times faster.

The reson we repeated the tests N times is because of precision; difference of 0.001 seconds doesn't tell us much. When that difference accumulates 10000 times, it becomes much more visible, 0.0001 becomes 10 seconds. The second reason is average; queries can become cached, peaks in cpu usage can cause longer times, memory just as much. You can divide any of the speeds in this post, divide by their respective N on which they've been tested, and get a solid average for database query execution time.

The reasons why the second test doesn't also show a 234% performance increase is because both engines will run fast for a small number of records. No matter how crappy engine someone can write, it will always be fast if it needs to retrieve 1 row from the database. The slowness becomes more pronounced when there are more rows. Our new engine is faster in both cases, wether there are 5 rows, or 100 rows.

However, in the title post you wrote "filtered" rows. We ran a test search for word "my awesome filter". Since our test records didn't contain any of those words, both tests didn't return any results.

In the case of our old engine, we ran the test at a smaller N=100 times (since we knew filtering will be slower) on 105 records. Our old search engine performed in 18,020 seconds, for an empty result. Our new engine performed the filter in 0,7 seconds, for the same N. That is 2495, 84% improvement, or in other words, the new search engine is 24,95 times faster.

If you are willing to test the new file for your record set, I will attach the file in my next post. This change is going to be included in the next iteration of ContentBuilder eitherway.

Cheers,

Tomislav

Navigate to this folder, beginning from your joomla folder,

administrator\components\com_contentbuilder\classes\types

Before making any changes, backup the existing file by adding ".bak" extensions to it. Then, extract the file in the .zip to the folder.

Please, report any changes and errors in this post. Thanks.

Cheers,

Tomislav
Attachments:
  • A Human
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hi Tomislav

It's Ben here again (I wrote the original post) Robin is heading out to the event as it begins in less than a week, so I will be following up from now on.

I applied the new patch and found that it does not load the views at all. I immediately rolled it back to the original file.

[edit: I re-applied the patch and it does work but there is only a small speed improvement. Still around 80-90 seconds]

What can I do to provide more feedback? Where can I find useful logs or error messages? I can re-apply the patch when the website isn't busy and try to capture errors if that helps.

Your feedback is appreciated, I'll add some comments here:

On a test list view with 5 rows (records), but repeated N=10000 times, we've achieved speeds of 16.7839 seconds

- do you mean 5 rows in the database or 5 rows returned by the query? When our database contained only some test data from about 10 forms it was quite fast.

On a test list view with 105 rows..... The new engine was performing in 8.94 seconds compared to the old engine which ran in 91.24 seconds.

- that sounds about right for when we started experiencing the problem. It's still about 90 seconds for 270 rows with the original file.

it will always be fast if it needs to retrieve 1 row from the database. The slowness becomes more pronounced when there are more rows. Our new engine is faster in both cases, wether there are 5 rows, or 100 rows.

- again, do you mean rows in the data table or returned in the query? We see the same speed for any number of results returned from the "List View" menus.

However, in the title post you wrote "filtered" rows. We ran a test search for word "my awesome filter".

-we are using 42 different "List View" menus, each has a filter which applies to (usually) a single element from the form. We are using 7 different "Views" which all have different list/view/edit selections, different editable templates, different content templates (including access levels) and different permissions. It's quite a complicated solution which works as intended.

We have recently been experiencing an issue with auto-generated articles not being deleted, but I don't think that is related as it began after the views slowed down. We had an issue earlier with a hidden "list" element in the form which is available and editable from a list view. The issue was that it had a "null" value in the form and when it was later given a value it would create duplicates in the sql database. Robin removed the duplicates (he's the database guru) and I added a default value in the form.

I sincerely hope we can get this fixed as I have invested many hours into this breezing/content builder solution with the view to make it an important part of our website into the future.
Kind regards, Ben.
Moderators: ForumSupporttomeperica
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

New Icon Packs Category!

Crosstec is now offering icon packs.

If you are a paying subscriber, icon packs are automatically added to your account.

Check out our icon packs page!

Live Support Chat Opened!

Join our Discord chat here to receive live support and talk directly to the team!

Summer Sale!

50% discount on all of our extension subscription plans, templates and icon packs!

Get Your Subscription Here

News and Updates

Get informed about new downloads, updates and more in our News and Updates newsletter.

All Extensions Subscription

Get 1 year access to all of our current and future products and 1 year of professional support -- 99 for just 49! (Summer Sale)

No support per domain or website installation limits! Includes all of our current and future Joomla!® extensions, Joomla!® templates for the duration of your membership. This means, by purchasing an All Extensions Subscription you'll have it all covered!

Get it from here

3rd Party Discount - 25% Off

We help you to keep your costs under control. If you are a new member and purchased a form building tool from a different form vendor, then you'll get a 25% discount on our subscription plans.

How to receive the discount:

Send us a quick email to sales@crosstec.org with a proof of purchase (for example a paypal receipt), await payment instructions and enjoy your membership!

Live Support Chat Opened!

Join our Discord chat here to receive live support and talk directly to the team!

Community Reward

Help us to create new extensions and plugins! With only $5 you help us a lot and get unlimited download access to all of our products, professional support and even more. Get your reward now!

Read More Here