TOPIC:

Questions about using comboboxes 5 years 8 months ago #128689

• Topic Author
  • PdRdigcol
  • Fresh Breezer
  • Fresh Breezer
Dear admins,

Hello. I am writing on behalf of my boss. I have been experimenting with Content Builder and Breezing Forms. We had wanted to make a website that could closely translate an MS Access inventory application that we have developed. I had previously used Fabrik for this, and have been pleased by its “completeness”, but not by its very limited flexibility. Breezing Forms and Content Builder were the alternative tools that we had wanted to use so we subscribed to "lifetime support".

The application that we have makes extensive use of comboboxes (drop-down listboxes) that fetches information from an existing database table automatically; meaning a combo list is populated by a certain table (e.g. Districts). It also allows the filtering of content for succeeding comboboxes; for example, if I pick a “Region” in the first combobox, then the second combobox’s list of “Districts” will only contain values related to the selected Region.

Another feature of this application is its ability to fill-up fields based on a lookup value. For example, if I select an “Equipment Name” from a combobox, then the “Model Name” and “Country of Origin” fields will be automatically filled-up with related information.

Finally, the feature that we have in the application that has not been properly translated is this: putting multiple columns in the combobox lists. A combobox list should be able to contain up to six (6) columns in order for the application to be translated faithfully.

The main question is this: can these features be easily implemented in Breezing Forms/Content Builder; or do I have to do some extensive PHP/Java programming to get things done properly? I have read numerous posts in the forums and I noticed that writing codes was essential. The other question is: if I have to use codes, then would you assist me in designing these codes?

We would really appreciate your response.

Yours,
Romel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Questions about using comboboxes 5 years 8 months ago #128729

• TheMuffinMan
  • Developer
  • Developer
Hi,

do you need to retrieve the values from MS Access dynamically on every select list change (select) or just pull them once and from there making the decision what to display in the 2nd, 3rd, etc. selections?

Regards,
Markus

Questions about using comboboxes 5 years 8 months ago #128733

• Topic Author
  • PdRdigcol
  • Fresh Breezer
  • Fresh Breezer
Hello, thank you for the response.

Yes, I do need to retrieve the values dynamically on every select list change. Btw, I have converted the whole Access database to a MySQL database.

To illustrate:
1. User selects a region value from the Region select list
2. The succeeding select list, District, will change its list to correspond to the selected region. User selects a district value from this select list
3. The succeeding select list, Municipality, will change its list according to the selected district. User selects a municipality value
4. The user may decide to change the region value from the Region select list again. The District and Municipality select lists will be cleared and will change list values accordingly

Questions about using comboboxes 5 years 8 months ago #128913

• TheMuffinMan
  • Developer
  • Developer
Hi,

here is an example form. Please download, unzip and install the form in BF => Configuration => Package Installer.
Then go to manage forms, select the form and check the element's advanced tab => action script as well as form => advanced => more options => form pieces.

The example does a lot of things and operates on standard tables, you can adjust the database tables to your requirements.

Regards,
Markus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PdRdigcol

• Page:
Moderators: ForumSupport
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds

July Sale!

Discounts for all of our extensions + support. Ending July 31st!

Get Your Subscription Here

Quick Links

Downloads

BreezingForms

ContentBuilder

BreezingCommerce

Templates

Documentation

BreezingForms

ContentBuilder

BreezingCommerce

Apprendre BreezingForms (French Community)

Apprendre et maîtriser BreezingForms par des tutoriels et exemples, le tout en français

breezingforms.eddy-vh.com

Questions et réponses sur les forums de l'AFUJ

AFUJ

Special Offer

Summer Sale! All subscriptions at a special price!

Includes prio support, all of our current and future Joomla!® extensions and Joomla!® templates for the duration of your membership.

Get it from here

3rd Party Discount - 25% Off

We help you to keep your costs under control. If you are a new member and purchased a form building tool from a different form vendor, then you'll get a 25% discount on our subscription plans.

How to receive the discount:

Send us a quick email to sales@crosstec.org with a proof of purchase (for example a paypal receipt), await payment instructions and enjoy your membership!