Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

• noob
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

noob created the topic: Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

My form is functional by now, but for some reason it seems all my visibility rules won't function as intended.
Can someone with more experience please help me understand what it is I am doing wrong here?

First, I should start off by explaining the intention behind the visibility rules.

The form is a sign on sheet for a sports event, and some tournaments are run simultaniously. Therefore it is needed to remove the possibility to sign up for both running at the same time.
Some tournaments are singles, some are team related, thus the extra fields for team players need to disappear aswell. Which they now do in my form, with one exception.

A short dictionary of my elements:

ligalag and bfQuickMode77608 are two tournaments running simultaniously. Both are radiobuttons with yes and no values. Checking off one should remove the other and it's extra text fields.
Changing the yes/no value should bring the other option back.

lag, spill6, spill7, spill8 are all textfields connected to the radio button element ligalag.

These are my current visibility rules, which at the moment works perfectly for bfQuickMode77608, but not for ligalag. (Element bfQuickMode77608 turns off, but does not turn back up again if ligalag is put first to on, then to off. Neither does ligalag's text fields disappear if it is first put to on, then to off.)

ps: I also checked that no extra empty spaces had snuck into the visibility rules.

turn on element lag if ligalag is on
turn off element lag if ligalag is off
turn on element spill6 if ligalag is on
turn off element spill6 if ligalag is off
turn on element spill7 if ligalag is on
turn off element spill7 if ligalag is off
turn on element spill8 if ligalag is on
turn off element spill8 if ligalag is off
turn on element bfQuickMode77608 if ligalag is off
turn off element bfQuickMode77608 if ligalag is on
turn on element ligalag if bfQuickMode77608 is off
turn off element ligalag if bfQuickMode77608 is on

Other parts of my form structured the same way (every single setting, I checked them all thoroughly) function as intended, like this one:

(Here tripple and bfQuickMode97072 are the simultanious tournaments.
spill2 and spill3 are text fields for the radio button tripple.)

turn on element spill2 if tripple is on
turn off element spill2 if tripple is off
turn on element spill3 if tripple is on
turn off element spill3 if tripple is off
turn off element bfQuickMode97072 if tripple is on
turn on element bfQuickMode97072 if tripple is off
turn off element tripple if bfQuickMode97072 is on
turn on element tripple if bfQuickMode97072 is off

Why do the second set of visibility rules work as intended, while the first do not?

The rules I would like to function properly in the first example are:

(There are also some minor issues with the values in mailback turning up blank instead of "off" for the hidden radio buttons. But that will have to wait until I've got the visibility issue solved first. Atleast all radio buttons selected yes turns up as "on" in mailback. Preferably I'd like to have changed on to "ja" and off to "nei" in mailback.)

Anyhow, I apologize for this rather long winded post. English is not my first language.
I really hope someone can bother to help me figure out what is going on here.

Just in case it is relevant, I'll end the post by adding my entire forms visibility rules from start to finish:

turn on element spill1 if par is on
turn off element spill1 if par is off
turn on element bfQuickMode60081 if par is off
turn off element bfQuickMode60081 if par is on
turn on element par if bfQuickMode60081 is off
turn off element par if bfQuickMode60081 is on

turn on element spill2 if tripple is on
turn off element spill2 if tripple is off
turn on element spill3 if tripple is on
turn off element spill3 if tripple is off
turn off element bfQuickMode97072 if tripple is on
turn on element bfQuickMode97072 if tripple is off
turn off element tripple if bfQuickMode97072 is on
turn on element tripple if bfQuickMode97072 is off

turn on element spill4 if 501 is on
turn off element spill4 if 501 is off

turn on element spill5 if cri is on
turn off element spill5 if cri is off
  • mihaela
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 344

mihaela replied the topic: Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the problem.

I have tested the first set of visibility rules regarding fields ligalag and bfQuickMode77608 in my form and it seems to be working fine:

From what you have written it seems to me that you might not have defined the "ligalag" radio group values correctly, or to be more specific it seems that something is wrong with the "off" value.

This is an example in which it worked for me as expected:
0;On;on
1;Off;off

Please check it and let me know whether it is set correctly.

If it is it might be that it is not working because of caching.
Therefore, please try to clear cache.
Go to Joomla > System. Clear Cache and Clear Expired Cache.
Check if you are running Joomla Cache on your website .
You can check it System > Global Config. > System > Cache Settings > System Cache > and set it to "Off".

Let me know how it went and if it works then we will move on to the email issue.

Regards,

Mihaela
  • noob
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

noob replied the topic: Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

I have now cleared my caches but not yet set system cache to off.
I will try that next and report back if that solves the issue. (The language barrier is making the correct options a bit tricky to find.)
It has made no difference yet.

The value for all my radio buttons are set to:

0;Nei;off
0;Ja;on

And, all my text fields that are meant to disappear have the "Turn off" option ticked.

I have thoroughly compared different settings between the parts of the form that work, and the part that doesn't. I really cannot identitify any differences in the settings.

Is there any more helpful information that I can provide?
  • noob
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

noob replied the topic: Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

Waiting for a response I tinkered around and decided to rename the "quickmodebfs" to something logical. Ofc the custom mailback rules and the visibility rules also had to correspond.

I also tried the cache thing, but it made no difference.

I also went in and gave all the radio buttons a 1 value for no in the radio group rules, this fixed my problem of it turning up blank instead of as "off" in mailback.

Then I decided to try something really stupid.

I made new elements in the form, with the exact same settings of those that didn't work.
Then I deleted the old radio button "ligalag."

Now everything works as intented. How stupid is that.

A part I didn't mention was that there was also a non optional text field that wouldn't show up in mailback, or give an error alert if it wasn't filled in. (Validation rule was correct.)
Deleting the old text field and creating a new identical one solved that issue too.

I'm not sure if to laugh or cry, but I'm happy it works now.

The only issue I am now left with, which is a very minor one, is that I would like for the values of the radio buttons to come back as "Ja / Nei" instead of " on / off " atleast in the frontend mailback.

Since I already have your attention, perhaps you could help me with that? =)
  • mihaela
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 344

mihaela replied the topic: Can someone please offer some guidance on my visibility rules?

Hello,

From what you have explained it might be that something went wrong when initially creating these elements.

As for the field that wasn't present in mailback email, it might be that you have somehow accidentally turned off "Logging" for that element.

Either way, I am really glad that these issues are now resolved.

To make the values "Ja / Nei" appear in frontend mailback instead of " on / off " and to be saved in general, you should change the way that you define the radio group.

To be more specific, instead of defining it like this:
0;Nei;off
0;Ja;on
it should be defined like this:
0;Nei;Nei
0;Ja;Ja

Since you have visibility rules depending on values of this radio group, you have to change the visibility rules as well.
For example like this:
turn on element lag if ligalag is Ja

Let me know whether you have managed to make ti work as you wanted.

Regards,

Mihaela
The following user(s) said Thank You: noob
  • noob
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well of course. That should have been obvious. =)
I am fairly sure the logging options were all identical, but it doesn't matter now.

Thank you for all help and patience. Consider this thread resolved.
Moderators: ForumSupporttomeperica
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

New Icon Packs Category!

Crosstec is now offering icon packs.

If you are a paying subscriber, icon packs are automatically added to your account.

Check out our icon packs page!

Live Support Chat Opened!

Join our Discord chat here to receive live support and talk directly to the team!

Summer Sale!

50% discount on all of our extension subscription plans, templates and icon packs!

Get Your Subscription Here

News and Updates

Get informed about new downloads, updates and more in our News and Updates newsletter.

All Extensions Subscription

Get 1 year access to all of our current and future products and 1 year of professional support -- 99 for just 49! (Summer Sale)

No support per domain or website installation limits! Includes all of our current and future Joomla!® extensions, Joomla!® templates for the duration of your membership. This means, by purchasing an All Extensions Subscription you'll have it all covered!

Get it from here

3rd Party Discount - 25% Off

We help you to keep your costs under control. If you are a new member and purchased a form building tool from a different form vendor, then you'll get a 25% discount on our subscription plans.

How to receive the discount:

Send us a quick email to sales@crosstec.org with a proof of purchase (for example a paypal receipt), await payment instructions and enjoy your membership!

Live Support Chat Opened!

Join our Discord chat here to receive live support and talk directly to the team!

Community Reward

Help us to create new extensions and plugins! With only $5 you help us a lot and get unlimited download access to all of our products, professional support and even more. Get your reward now!

Read More Here